Monday, November 22, 2010

Sometimes life isn't just about food, (We have) Skin Matters too!

There is a debate as to whether or not Celiac's and people with Gluten sensitivities are able to absorb the wheat protein through their skin. The argument comes from some professional who believe that the protein is  too large to be passed topically, while those who have experienced it may carry different personal opinions. 

I am not suggesting that wheat glutens in my beauty products make me sick at my stomach. Mainly because I don't willingly eat my eye shadows (I would much rather snack on a butterfinger)Lip stick seems to be the most obvious contaminator because it goes straight onto the mouth... but there is always the risk of accidentally contaminating yourself. This could be as innocent as eating chips with your fingers, that happen to be moisturized with a wheat filled lotion. Or ingesting a small amount of shampoo that might unavoidably run into your face while showering. 


When something as "simple" as wheat can reek havoc on our bodies, it is of the up most importance to take all the measure to keep ourselves safe and healthy. This can be easily accomplished by paying attention to not only what we put into our bodies, but what is in the products that we slather on them.

During my process of eliminating possible contamination issues, I finally tracked down the source of my years of itchy eczema, random rashes, scabby scalp sores and those painful break outs that popped up on my hairline, face and  back (usually just in time for a nice event). The common factor in all my products was wheat, and wheat byproducts (with all their fancy names- see below for the list). When I eliminated the source I stopped having the painful/embarrassing issues. 

I decided to throw out everything I owned because it was all breaking me out. To clarify, my "throwing out" really just means that I put it all in bags and took it around to friends and family to pick through what they wanted. Starting over was okay at first, because all I really needed to replace were the basics- like: shampoo, face soap, and tooth paste. (I have an awesome system now, which I will blog after Thanksgiving!) 

I figured I should share the products I use, 'cause buying beauty products and cosmetics online without getting to smell them, or color match skin tones first, is not my idea of a good time! Plus experimenting can end up costing a lot... which isn't always an option on our wallets when faced with the possibility of constant failures.

This is the list I use when shopping to avoid all the tricky names for Wheat found in cosmetics and beauty products: 
  • hydrolyzed malt extract
  • hydrolyzed wheat protein
  • hydrolyzed vegetable protein
  • wheat germ
  • wheat protein
  • vitamin e (another name is tocopherol, avoid unless specified as being derived from corn)
  • cyclodextrin
  • barley extract
  • fermented grain extract
  • oat (avena sativa)
  • stearyldimoniumhydroxypropyl
  • samino peptide complex
  • phytosphingosine extract
  • triticum vulgare
  • dextrin
  • dextrin palmitate
  • maltodextrin
  • secale cereale
  • sodium C8-16 Isoalkylsuccinyl Wheat Protien Sulfonate
  • yeast extract
  • anything with the wheat name 
Copy paste the list into a word document, print it off, and carry it in your wallet. It is great to use when shopping for a new product. Be prepare to spend sometime looking at labels though! 

For shampoo and conditioner I love Nature's Gate Herbal Daily Shampoo, and Conditioner. (I buy this at Whole Foods). Check out their website for more info: http://www.natures-gate.com/shop/showitem.asp?ProductId=41101181&menuId=233&withLinks=1
Nature's Gate Herbal Shampoo
Nature's Gate Herbal Daily Conditioner

For me, finding safe makeup was a wonderful treat... I think my soul sang that day... so much that I need to share a story:

There are gluten free make up brands online, as well as, X product that Y company sells that So-and-So heard about through Whatever it was... but while researching those companies, I found they ended up way out of my price range. I am talking 35+some odd dollars just for mascara... then shipping fees! 

With so much disappointment and the added lack of understanding/support on such a costly "investment" from my husband... who felt $300+ on makeup was a total waste of our money. (In his defense, his feelings were fair, because we were in the process of replacing everything in our house from food to shampoo). 
I felt destined to be "that plain girl, who eats gluten free". I had foreshadowed that for the rest of my life, I would look like old pictures of hard working farmer's wives during the depression... I was mentally struggling to accept the "Plain Jamie" when I ran into a huge problem.
I was asked to be in my best friend's wedding... standing next to all her beautiful friends and her gorgeous self, while lookin' like I'd rolled off of a farm in the 1920's and slapped on a bridesmaid dress. I couldn't ruin her wedding pictures that way! No one wants to look back at their memories and say, "Sure, she is my friend... but what was I thinking asking 'J-MEShort&Homely' to stand that close?".

I needed makeup... 

So, After a very long day of reading the back of every cosmetic at Target with a list of  "No, No" ingredients in my hand, I finally found my jewel! I even called the manufacture and the rep I spoke with was so sweet, she went through all their products with me! It was amazing! So, from when I called in June 2010, the Boots Botanics line was confirmed to be gluten free. The No.7 had a few items in their line that contained gluten, so instead of remembering which ones, I decided to stay away from all No.7's line

How did the wedding you ask? It was beautiful, she looked amazingly gorgeous and I got to wear makeup! Hahaha! It was a good day!

http://www.us.boots.com/BrandBotanics/ Best parts of Boots Botanics, (beyond being wheat/gluten free) it is all really affordable, and I can run to target to see the products before I buy them- which means, no online guessing game!
Boots Botanics Foundation
Boots Botanics Lip Gloss
Boots Botanics Mascara

For face soap I use Clean and Clean's Sensitive Skin Foaming Cleaner, which I found matches Purpose's Sensitive Skin Foaming Cleaners with the same ingredients and manufacturer. Only with one "clear" difference, the price- Clean and Clear is cheaper. (Good to find out because I had been buying Purpose- both of which I have found at pretty much any store). 

Toothpaste: Colgate (any one), I hear that Toms of Maine is gluten free as well, if you want a more natural option. 

D.O. for the B.O.- well, I am a really stinky, greasy, part Italian girl, that sweats like a over weight mule trying to go up hill in the dessert. A lot. So, I use Burt's Bees Herbal Deodorant , and it works great for me. (I buy it at Whole Foods) http://reviews.burtsbees.com/8993/-108/herbal-deodorant-reviews/reviews.htm
Burt's Bees Herbal Deodorant

I haven't found a body wash that I'm happy with just yet- so I am curious what brands you have tried and love... And always remember to check the ingredients list because production changes for companies all the time.

2 comments:

  1. Did you have ecxema before you realized that you were celiac? Because I have it pretty bad my self, but have never really had any food intolerences. Do you think that gluten could be the culprit?

    -Meg Strong

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Meg, Sorry for the delay.

    I did have eczema before, but always blamed it on dry weather (that's when it seemed the worst). I don't have it anymore unless I am using products with wheat in them. I used some mysterious hotel soap for two days, and my legs looked/felt awful. Looked it up online later, and what do ya know... it wasn't safe.

    I am not sure if gluten is the culprit for you, but I do suggest reviewing the ingredients in your body products. Then start a process of elimination while keeping a journal of your reactions (or lack of) to the different products you use.

    A journal entry example might be: "I washed for 1 week with X(insert brand name) product and used Y lotion- result- nothing"... or the result might be "forms of eczema on my legs". Then I would stop using the lotion and see if I still was getting eczema. If I was I would change soaps and try a new soap (that did not have the certain ingredient I was eliminating) and use it with the old lotion. Until I found a combination of new and old, or in my case, new and new products, that leave my skin healthy and non-rashy.

    The process of elimination is easiest to start if you choose one ingredient to rule out as "safe" or "unsafe". Wheat would be a great place to start. You can use my list to help you check ingredients, and you can also search online to see if there are more "hidden names" (please share if you find some)! I would also look up what other allergens are common (soy or different chemicals), and try eliminating those if wheat/gluten turns out to not effect you.

    Most importantly don't run out and spend a fortune on new full sized products that you might need to trash or pass along. Start with sample sized products and pay attention to your body along the way (as well as what you are eating around the time of the breakouts). This will make the guilty party shine, without being as hard on your pocket.

    Good luck, I hope this helps! Keep me posted on how it goes!

    ReplyDelete