Monday, November 29, 2010

Gluten Free Turkey Stuffing- Pinch me, I must be dreaming!

For starters- my fellow celiac-ers... can I get a WOOOO HOOOOOO!?!  No Longer will we sit and stare longingly at other people's plates on the holidays! 


My genius Mother-in-law (or as I like to say, Mother-in-lucky) had the brilliant idea this year of subbing her normal Turkey Stuffing with a Gluten Free Stuffing.... she left it to me to assemble the g-free ingredients, while she re-thought her traditional recipe, and together we made Thanksgiving Miracles come true!

This Stuffing taste just like Grandma's! It's so wonderful that I felt guilty eating it... not because of how much I ate (which is what I should feel bad about)... but from it being so good, you'd think it had been made of nothing but gluten! 

Step 1- Getcha Cornbread Ready

Super Easy and Delicious Gluten Free Cornbread from Scratch (via the back of the Lamb's Package, which is the local brand I use http://www.hgdfoods.com/lambs-stone-ground-cornmeal.html)
 
This recipe makes 1- 8x8 square or 9" cake pan- 
  • 1 Cup Lamb's Stone Ground Yellow Corn Meal (or your favorite corn meal)
  • 1 Cup White Rice Flour
  • 1 tsp of Salt
  • 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
  • 2 tsp of Baking Soda (I didn't have any so I used 6 tsp of Baking Powder) via http://chemistry.about.com/od/foodchemistryfaqs/f/powdersoda.htm
  • 1 Cup Milk (or your lactose free alternative)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pour all ingredients in a bowl and mix with a fork until blended... or use a mixer...Pour batter into a greased 8x8 dish or 9 inch cake pan and cook in oven for 30-35 minutes. Watch for the cornbread to be slightly brown, firm to the touch, and cooked all the way through. 

Step 2- Stale 'tha' Breads
Udi's Gluten Free Bread is the Secret Ingredient http://udisglutenfree.com/
 
  • Lay the Udi's gluten free bread out on a large pan, and set it out on the counter for at least 2 days...(I don't have the exact reasoning behind this- I just was told to make sure it "got good n'stale" and I liked the idea of a pan for doing the job).
  • Leave the cornbread out on the counter to get stale as well.
Step 3- Assemble the Ingredients 
We made a big batch (which could happily overfeed 12) so, please feel free to adjust the measurements to your needs.
 
  • 2 Bags of stale Udi's Gluten Free Bread- torn into small pieces (I know it sounds like a waste of such good bread)
  • 2- 9inch pans full of Stale Gluten Free Cornbread- crumbled
  • 1 Large White Onion- Diced
  • 1 Small White Onion- Diced (make sure those white onions are good and hot)
  • 1 Small Sweet Yellow Onion- Diced
  • 1 Bunch of Celery- Diced
  • (here's where things get "questionable") 3 Palms full of Gluten Free Poultry Seasoning (my guess is the equivalent of 2 1/2 tablespoons)
  • 2 Sticks of Melted Butter (more or less to taste- which can be easily subbed for a lactose free option)
  • 1 tbsp of Dried Sage (use lightly, because sage can quickly over power the stuffing... we used sage leaves dried out from my mother-in-lucky's garden)
  • 3 Cans of Gluten Free Chicken Broth (or until the mix can be molded into a small ball in the palm of your hand)
  • Esther Williams' Million Dollar Mermaid- playing in the background (Okay, you caught me- this step isn't necessary but sure does make tearing up bread a whole lot more fun! Esther Williams is my favorite)
  • Large Pan for Baking in Oven
Step 4- "Get It Done"
 
  • Tear the Stale Gluten Free Udi's Bread into small chunks 
  • Crumble the Cornbread over the G-free bread chunks
  • Add your diced Vegetables and Seasoning
  • Mix
  • Add the Chicken Broth
  • Stir
  • After all the ingredients are good and mixed- (stuff your bird, if you're cookin' one) and put the rest in the oven.
Preheat oven to 350 and cook until golden brown, stirring occasionally... and remember not to pack the stuffing down into the pan, fluff it up- this is good for both its ego and ensuring it cooks evenly.

This video is a quick look at how we "assembled the pieces" while making the Gluten Free  Stuffing:


I hope you enjoy this recipe!!! 

Special Thanks to:

My wonder Mother-In-Lucky Rene'e 
 
and
 
Udi's for making my Stuffing Dreams Come True... Share the love @http://www.facebook.com/udisglutenfree and let them know how awesome they are for being a Celiac's very own Walt Disney World!!!

As always, please feel free to ask me any questions... and share your experiences and recipes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment